Question
Posted by: Ann Wright | 2011/03/16

Costochondritis

Hi there.

I just need clarity on this diagnosis. I suffer from mild anxiety and every now again I get these severe chest pains, that it feels like someone has hit me, I cant breathe and it actually feels like I have a huge wind stuck behind my breast bone. Sometimes my left arm hurts as well and I tend to get a headache. I also feel very exhausted afterwards. My gp gave it a name - tsetse syndrome (not sure of the spelling). Is this similar? What is it exactly?

I would really appreciate it if you can help.

Kind regards

Hallo Ann
Tietze Syndrome: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Tietzes-syndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Have you had an ECG to exclude angina? You may also be getting esophageal spasms due to anxiety as it doesn't sound like typical Tietze syndrome?

2
Posted by: Ann Wright | 2011/03/18

Thanks Dr Bets. No, my gp has not suggested an ECG. I have been to him on a few occasions and he just prescribes mild tranquilisers. It is very frustrating! My chest really feels " bruised"  after the " attack"  passes and when I push in certain areas, it is painfull.

How do I get him to send me for an ECG?

Kind regards

Reply to Ann Wright
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/03/16

Hallo Ann