Question
Posted by: Advice Pls | 2008/07/04

Cost of Artificial Insemination

I am 31 and my husband is 30. We are TTC and have no success after 6 months. I battle with my sex drive so it is also an effort to want to have sex. I am worrying that I may not be able to have children and do not want to battle for a year or more and THEN go for alternatives.. it is heartbreaking enough just worrying.
I also want to know what the effects of being on Lamectin for epilepsy are on the quality of sperm and male fertility - but so far none of your experts have answered my question & I am desperate to know.

What is the cost of being artificially inseminated? Are there certain requirements before choosing this option? I would prefer to conceive the natural way - but given my sex drive problems and my fears of infertility I just need some piece of mind.

Dear Advise Pls
The choice of using artificial insemination as a means of fertility would strongly depend on whether there is patency of the fallopian tubes. Also the possibility of endometriosis will need to be excluded. Therefore a thorough gynaecological evaluation is necessary and some form of tubal patency evaluation needs to be done either by X-ray, ultrasound or laparoscopy. The cost of insemination depends on the protocol used. In a natural cycle insemination, where no fertility drugs are used, and self-monitoring is done, the cost may be as low as R650. However, in stimulated cycles, depending on the extent of the medication, the cost may rise to as much as R3000 to R4000. The effect of Lamactin on male factor is minimal but in some cases due to a rise in prolactin levels the sperm quality may deteriorate. Obliviously a thorough sperm analysis is necessary in any event if intrauterine insemination is considered.

14
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/08/05

hi I'm 28 and i have a problem getting pregnant because of fibroids, can artificial insemination help me conceive without having the risk of a miscarrage

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/07/12

I am 33 years old and my hubby is turning 40. We've been married for 9 years and we do not have any children. I've been on contraceptives for a few years, but then my husband was diagnosed with Diabetes. We haven't had any intercourse for 5 years. And that is how long I am off the contraceptives. I just want to know, what are my changes of conceiving through AI? I am sure my husband's sperm can be used? And what is the cost attached to that?

Posted by: Andile | 2016/04/18

I am 30 years old and would like to have a child. I have a sperm donor but no idea where to go for AI and a quote. I stay 2hours away from Durban. Please help.

Reply to Andile
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/04/15

Would it be wise to go see a gynea to artifitial inseminat you at a young age when tou know there is servical and pregnancy problems in your family. But you really want a child. Please help

Posted by: Visitor | 2016/04/04

What about woman with Endometriosis, can that work for them?

Reply to Visitor
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/01/05

I cut my tubes in 2013 now I need a child can artificial insemination help?

Posted by: magy | 2015/08/22

please help m .i wnt to knw hw much does it cost for my husband to have a sperm cleaning .he is positive and im negative .we need a child.its been 7yrs .plz we are desperate

Reply to magy
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/08/20

i am married, I have a low sperm count, and I battle to get erection, how do I get ready for an Artificial insemination?

Posted by: Buhle | 2008/07/21

Hi there Cris

Where is your gynea, i' m desparate and really like to see her if possible, please!!

Reply to Buhle
Posted by: Cris | 2008/07/10

I was artificially inseminated in May last year, with great success. While I agree with the previous responses, here is a quick answer to your question:
- Since I had to purchase sperm, this cost me R180.00 from Groote Schuur Hospital
- Purchasing sperm from a cryobank was quoted at about R700.00
- If I were to provide my own sperm and simply have it "washed" (which removes the protein that may cause immediate contractions when the sperm is deposited too close to the cervix) I would have had to pay about R300 at a private lab
- My gynae did the procedure in her offices, and this cost the normal consultation fee plus R195.00

Hope this helps

Reply to Cris | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Yaya | 2016/04/17

Hi chris please can we have your gynea'sdetails??

Posted by: Curious | 2014/07/23

Hi Cris, could you advise if a profile is supplied for the sperm at Grootte Schuur and how do you go about arranging this?

Posted by: mel | 2008/07/04

speak to your doctor about our lack of sex drive. its not normal. maybe you need to talk honestly with your husband too, as maybe he isn't giving you enough foreplay. there may be something lacking in your diet or hormones that makes you feel this way so speak to a doctor

go to a good fertility clinic and both have tests. that way you will know if you have any problems or just need to try more.

do you know when you ovulate? that will help if you have sex at that time over a few days either side. so if you ovulate on day 14. have sex on day 12, 14 and 16
good luck

Reply to mel
Posted by: Ollie | 2008/07/04

I think you should first see a fertility specialist before anything else. I can recommend Dr. G Hogewind 0123475211. He's our dr & we're quite happy so far

Reply to Ollie