Question
Posted by: Jo | 2011/03/25

CORTIZONE INJECTION INTO SHOULDER

Yesterday I had a cortizone injection into my shoulder as the ortho surgeon said it should relive the pain from a pinched nerve but my arm huts more today than what it has all week. Is that normal how long does it take before it works?

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Dear Jo,

The only condition in the shoulder where a nerve can be pinched is suprascapular nerve compression in the suprascapular notch. The most common condition for which cortisone injections in the shoulder are given is rotator cuff impingement.
If a cortisone injection is going to be successful it will happen after two or three days ( see more on our website: http://www.shoulderinstitute.co.za/publications/SHOULDER%20INJECTIONS_WM.pdf

One of the resons for the injection not working would be that it is not in the correct site or that the diagnosis is not correct

2
Posted by: Lizel | 2011/06/24

I''m battling with my shoulder since January 2011. The pain is getting worse and worse and no inflammatory medication is working anymore. I take strong painkillers to make me sleep through the night. Yesterday (23 June 2011) I''ve been to my Ortho Surgeon where he gave me an injection. The only relief that I had was when the needle entered my shoulder and thats it. The pain is still there and getting more aggressive. Can you refer me to a Ortho Surgeon in Pretoria who can advise me on what to do? I don''t think this is neurologic. I spent thousands of rands on a MRI scan for no reason.

Reply to Lizel
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2011/03/27

Dear Jo,

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum