Posted by: sore joint | 2008-10-30

cortizone 2 questions

a orthopedic surgeon that has treated several carpal tunnel
dequirvain releases etc has sugested I consider taking a course of cortizone (3 years ago) as I am extremely prone to inflamation (Neg - R Arth ) from feet to sculp. Im not keen -dont like the swelling part etc (1)How big a dose and how long before facial swelling kicks in and how long does it take to go away after treatment was stoped.
4 weeks ago I was given 5 days cortizone &  Avalon for Bronchitis and within 4 days all body ackes and pain was gone for app 2 weeks. on firs day of treatment I was bitten by an Insect/spider on my ear area purple swolen and sensitive.
no pus coming out but suddenly all my joints started acking again (worse than ever) finger joints patches on sculp old injuries etc.
(2)Could the cortizone and Avalon help heal the bite erea but left a systemic effect or is it just because the cortizone is finished.

Expert ImagePharmacist

There are many types of cortisones and side effects differ dramatically - I cant answer your first question before knowing your dose and medication.
The avelon should indeed help to heal the bite - I do however suspect that the effect you're noticing is as a result of the cortisone working out

The poison of the spider bite is in my groin lymph nodes and is extremely painful. The doctor has given me antibiotics but nothing is taking the pain away. I have 2lots of antibiotics but as soon as its finished I have extreme pain, fever and a blinding headache