Question
Posted by: Mark | 2010/02/19

Cortisone nasal sprays

I have been using Nasacor, daily for a number of years to control my allergic rhinitis. Is it a bad to be using cortisone every day for such a long period of time ? Are there suitable alternatives ?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Mark

The nasal cortisone is an extremely effective way to control allergic rhinitis. There is hardly any systemic effect, even with prolonged use. Longterm studies have not shown any permanent negative effect on the nasal mucosa.
There is no real alternative, and unfortunately allergic rhinitis is a chronic disease, and therefore requires chronic management.

Regards.