Question
Posted by: kea | 2011-05-17

Cortisone

Dear Doc
Please can you explain what is happeing here. I have been an asthma sufferer for many years. I have also had no sense of smell for many years. Every now and then for a few hours to a day or two, I suddenly have smell, and walk around just commenting on everything I am smelling because I have been without smell for so long, it is like suddenly have eyes for the first time. It is a dangerous situation, I have almost burnt my house down on a number of occasions because I could not smell something was burning. For this reason I would like to correct the problem BUT, now I took a short (one week) treatment of cortisone tablets over and above my asthma pumps because my ashma is in a bad stage. From about the first day of treatment.... I can smell, have been taking the cortisone for a few days now... and have smell every day. I cannot stay on the cortisone tablets... so what should I do and how is this connected?. Using nose sprays like Beclate etc, have never given me my sense of smell back. Thank you

Kea

I suggest that you consult an allergy specialist to determine what exactly you are allergic to. The cortisone is a strong anti-inflammatory drug that can work wonders in asthma and chronic sinus sufferers. Unfortunately, it can not be used on a chronic basis. It is therefore, important to identify the spesific cause of your asthma and sinusitis.