Question
Posted by: mimi | 2011/04/13

Cortisone

ive been on 1000mg intravenous cortisone for MS relapse, pls help me with the bloating, my stomach looks 6 monhts preg all of a sudden, how do i get it down for good as i have excess fat after 2 kids and genetically in this area. I dont eat wheat and gluten pls give me some guidelines. Should i stop eating dairy for a while to relieve the bloat?

Dear Mimi
If I understand you correctly your abdomen is distended because of the cortisone treatment, so once you no longer need these high doses, the condition should improve over time. You can also discuss this with the dr who is treating your MS relapse just to clarify if this is due to water retention which can be a side-effect of cortisone treatment. When you are finished with the cortisone treatment and the effects have worn off (this can take awhile), the dr needs to determine how much of your bloating is due to food allergies in case you do have multiple food allergies and also which foods you are allergic to. It would be detrimental to stop eating dairy products which are an excellent source of calcium without first determining if you are actually allergic to milk and dairy products. Cortisone treatment can reduce the calcium content of the skeleton and you need all the dietary calcium you can get, to prevent this from happening. So take this one step at a time. First complete your treatment and discuss the situation with your medical dr, then when you have fully recovered have tests done to see if you suffer from multiple food allergies. If this is the case, then it is advisable to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with an individual diet prescription that takes your specific allergies into account, but still provides you with all the nutrients you need for good health. When you consult the dietitian you can ask her/him to also include weightloss in your diet prescription.
Holding thumbs that your treatment goes well.

2
Posted by: *** | 2011/04/13

Hi Mimi,

If you''ve had a MS relapse, are you not any medication for MS? My twin sister has MS and is on a drug called interferon or something like that, it prevents MS relapses. There''s a whole lot to the whole thing of course. Let me know here if I can point you in the right direction, maybe to the neurologist my sister sees.

Reply to ***

Dear Mimi