Posted by: Mark K | 2009-09-03

I have rheumatoid arthritis and am on cortisone treatment(PREDNISONE) I also have a Hiatus hernia.
I don' t eat as much as I used to but I am still gaining weight.
Is there a specific diet for those who use cortisone?

Dear Mark
There is no specific diet for patients using cortisone, but it is always a good idea to discuss this type of weight gain with your prescribing dr because it may be possible to adjust the dosage. Weight gain due to the use of cortisone is also often associated with water retention which can be counteracted by the use of a mild diuretic that your dr can prescribe. Nowadays hiatus hernia can be treated successfully with a much less invasive operation than in the past. A surgeon will be able to assist you with this problem.
I would recommend that you also consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because rheumatoid arthritis is a condition that requires dietary intervention, esp when you have flare-ups. The dietitian will be able to assist you with weightloss too.
I hope you will be able to counteract your weight gain.