Question
Posted by: Nelly | 2008/09/11

Cortisol and weight loss

I' ve picked up alot of weight in the last 3 months, despite the fact that I only eat whats good for my blood type (A+) , I find that I' m still putting onweight-having read about the stress factor and the production of cortisol in the system due to immense stress (which i have had for just over a year because I own my own business and its exceptionally stressful-I find I' m weepy and cranky and not to mention the PMS which I never use to experience looking back )I' m strictly no meat,no dairy and am doing Yoga to relax yet the kilos are ot dropping as they did in previous years that I did the blood group diet? I' m concerned because I know cortisol can lead to heart disease , what can u recommend-I' ve read up on " relora"  but that seems to be more a diet pill than a cortisol stabiliser and is there anything herbal that can help regulate cortisol and insulin (my 2 enemies) - I haven' t had time to get to my GP (also due to the fact that I' m now catogorised as obese according to my BMI and am rather embarressed to go to him because of my weight-there r real patients!)

Dear Nelly
Chronic cortisol production due to stress or even excessive exercise can depress the immune system and have other negative effects on the body, so you may need to consult your medical dr for an anxiolytic to break this vicious cycle. I would also recommend that you take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement like Centrum or Supradyn Forte, a calcium supplement (Caltrate) and salmon oil capsules to boost your omega-3 intake. This diet you are using which cuts out all meat and dairy will deplete you of calcium, iron and vit B12 - so some of your crankiness could be due to deficiencies and even anaemia. Chat to the dr about this possibility. It's good that you are doing yoga because this is an excellent method of relaxing and de-stressing. Use the deep breathing exercises whenever you are stressed. You may find that going for a brisk walk every day for 30 min will also help - it promotes weightloss, improves the mood, counteracts PMS and firms the body.
Hope you can relax