Posted by: Opps | 2009-02-10

I feel I have all the symptons of too much adrenalin and elevated cortisol levels after many many years of chronic stress. I have spent years keeping things in and my muscles now permanently tensed up. I have had brain scans which show man white spots and also have no short term memory and function on being organised. I have severe lack of sleep as I wake up all night with bursts of adrenalin and heart palpitations.
Please can you suggest the path I take in seeking medical advice as up until now I have been prescribed anti depressants and mood disorder medication and I feel that my problem is now to treat the physical side effects of holding in stress.

Dear Opps
Have you seen a psychiatrist for the treatment of the chronic stress and have you had counselling by a psychologist to help you to manage the causes? A physician will be able to check your cortisol and to monitor your adrenal gland function. Your thyroid gland and heart probably needs evaluation too. The ideal would be to get a physician and psychiatrist that will be willing to work in a team to manage your emotional and physical problems in total context.