Question
Posted by: Anonymous gal | 2009/08/31

CORSTISONE ALTERNATIVES

I was recently prescribed celestamine, my dog prednisilone, both for allergic nasal and skin reactions. Are these products exactly the same? Is one perhaps only for animals and one for humans? I ask because if anyone in the family suffers an unexpected allergic reaction, I would want to know whether I could use any left-overs of either of these drugs as an emergency measure before getting to the clinic. Also, I know that you can' t get these without a prescription. Is there any drug at all that works like cortisone but does not need a prescription?.

Expert ImagePharmacist

1. Both drugs are available for use in humans.
2. Prednisolone and Celestamine are completely different
3. For acute allergic reactions, the celstamine will help
4. Both are only available on prescription
5. "Is there any drug at all that works like cortisone but does not need a prescription?" This depends on what you need to use it for. For allergic nasal and skin reactions you can get Deselec, etc. over the counter.