Posted by: Janine | 2008-10-30

Correcting varying levels of HB counts

Hi Bets, I have been a blood donor for 25 years and have always had a low HB reading. With the new testing kits, I have been able to ascertain that my HB levels are generally between 11.5 and 12.25. How can I improve this, and what effect does this low count have long term? I am generally healthy, and excercise 1-2 times a week.
Also, my son, who is on Reacutan, has been identified as having low iron. (through a blood test approx 2 years ago). He had his HB tested (knowing he could not donate) and had a reading of 17.5. Is this linked to the Reacutan - can the readings actually be linked to iron deficiencies , or is this just a generalisation?

Hi Janine
You and your son should actually have a full blood count and Iron studies blood tests done. If your red blood cells are normal in form and normal in number, and your blood iron levels show normal levels, you need not do anything - for you this may be a normal HB. Roaccutane does not affect iron levels as far as I know, it can affect liver functions and due to this indirectly have an effect on iron metabolism.