Question
Posted by: Jubi | 2012/10/09

Correcting low calorie intake

Hi Diet Doc,

I lost about 15kgs on Dr Cohen diet but when I realised I was only taking in about 600 calories a day I stopped as that''s unhealthy (as far as I have read.) Now I''m off the diet and have gained about 4 kilos and am so scared that I''ll gain back all that I''ve lost.

Do you have any tips as to how to stop gaining? I don''t feel as if I''m eating too much but my body seems to be used to only getting 600 cals and now anything more is too much, or am I understanding the situation wrong? (I''m female, 28 years old and 166cm tall if the info is needed.)

Thanks very much in advance.

Dear Jubi
One of the problems with using such a very-low-calorie-diet which only contains 600 kcal per day, is that it transmits a message to the body that it is being starved. So once you stop using these diets and more food becomes available your body will go into storage mode to stock up for any future periods of starvation it may have to face! This is how we have survived the famines that the human race has had to face for millions of years. For your height, your ideal weight would be 61 kg (with a BMI of 22), so if you weigh a lot less, then your body will continue to gain weight until you reach a normal, healthy weight. If you find that you keep on gaining then please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assist you with a balanced slimming diet that maintains steady weightloss and does not starve your body to such an extent.
You can also try doing regular exercise to prevent this weight gain.

1

Dear Jubi