Question
Posted by: Lynn | 2009/11/05

correct vitamin for a runner

Hi doc
Please advise of a really good vitamin that I can used if I am a runner.I train three times a week and run a race every weekend.I am also training for a marathon due in 3 weeks. Also advise what I can use during the race to keep up my stamina and help for my legs as it will be my first marathon.

Hi Lynn

I wouldn't suggest a vitamin as the answer - there is no vitamin that improves stamina, unless your diet is very poor. Iron deficiencies can lead to fatigue, and sometimes vitamin B can do the same, but most people don't have a problem. Women do, and so maybe iron would be a problem. However, I'd say you should look at your diet first, and then your vitamin supplements. If you're tired during runs, the most likely answer is that your diet is insufficient in carbohydrates, and you're running out of energy during the run. That's a diet issue, not a supplement one, and I'd rather see you spend that R300 on a once-off meeting with a dietician than spend R300 a month on supplements that, frankly, might not be needed.

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/11/09

Hi Lynn

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/11/09

Hi Lynn

Reply to fitnessdoc