Question
Posted by: TRAUMATICAN | 2008/07/28

Correct treatment for Trauma 60yrs

I was attacked at home by 3 attackers. The hospital treated me for trauma: pain killers and Brufen as my face was beaten badlly. I had a catscan for face and had broken nose and fractures. However the GP put me on tranqulizers and sleeping pills. I landed back in hospital with dehydration and high blood pressure. I do not need the nose op as I can breathe sufficiently. Now I am on all new tablets. My blood pressure is 113/73. Is my blood pressure going to go up if I stop the xanor SR .5mg and Esperide 50mg and Serepax 30mg. 2 months now and I am still fretting and afraid at night. Friends say I need a councellor or phychologist. Or do I need to see a phsychiatrist?

I wouldn't generally think your BP should go up if you stop the sedatives. After 2 months, one is moving from a more normal acute stress reaction and towards potentially more chronic PTSD, and seeing a psychiatrist of psycholpgist would be wise, as meds otherwise also used to treat Depression, and proper CBT counselling, can help greatly. I would not myself use drugs like Xanor and Serepax in managing trauma, and not for more than 2 months ( remember, though, after this time, it's wise to come off them very gradually rather than suddenly, and maybe wait till you see and ask your shrink. There is some evidence that over-sedating someone in your situation may actually make it harder and slower for the person to adjust to the psychological trauma, rather than helping.

1
Posted by: TRAUMATICAN | 2008/07/31

Thanks for your sensible advice. I have not been able to get hold of the Doc who treated me, so I asked advice at the pharmacy, I have taken your and their advice and have gradually stopped the Serepax and replaced with small dose of Rescue at night. I have 5 days left of the other tabs. Is this period sufficient to come off them? I will however, see my GP next week for the bloodpressure check. I really do not want to land up taking tranquilizers etc. so how will I know if I am on the correct treatment if I cannot afford a Shrink.?

Reply to TRAUMATICAN