Question
Posted by: Johann | 2011/02/18

Correct diet for high cholestrol &  gout combination?

Certain foods I may eat which is acceptable since I was diagnosed with high cholestrol, is forbidden because I now also suffer from goat (high acid levels). I''m at a dead end how to combine the correct food groups to assist with both my problems? I am 50 years old. Thanks.

Dear Johann
If you have multiple conditions that need to be treated by dietary manipulation then it is advisable to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out a diet for you that lowers your intake of cholesterol and purines (the compounds that caused a buildup of uric acid in the body). This is not something I can do for you over the Internet. To read up on cholesterol click on 'Diet’nFood' and 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section. When you are on the 'Diet'nFood' site, do a Search for 'NEW DIETARY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR GOUT' to access an article I wrote on this subject last year.

1

Dear Johann