Posted by: tegan | 2009-03-24

Correct calorie, carb and fat intake?

I' m a 18 year-old woman, I weigh 54 kgs, my height is 164cm, I do light cardio and weight training 3 times a week.
I don' t want to lose weight, my goal is strengthen my body, tone and stay healthy.
According to an online calculator my ideal daily calorie intake is around 2100 calories. I was wondering whether this is the correct amount? I was also wondering how much carbohydrates and fats are acceptable on a daily basis.

Seeing as how most South African food stuffs label energy values in kilojoules I' m also curious if it would still be accurate to convert my suggested calorie intake to kilojoules or taking the total amount of kilojoules I consumed a day and converting it to calories?

Dear Tegan
Your BMI = 20,1 which is already below the ideal for your height (for an ideal BMI of 22 you would need to weigh 59 kg), so you certainly do not need to lose any weight. Generally speaking adult women of 18 and older require 2100 kcal per day, so your calculation is correct. According to prudent diet recommendations protein, carbs and fats should provide 10%, 60% and 30% of your daily energy intake. This translates into 53 g of protein, 315 g of carbs and 70 g of fat per day. Because SA uses the metric system, food labels generally express the energy content of foods in kilojoules. In kJ your daily energy requirement would be approx. 8800 kJ.