Posted by: Jacobus | 2008-10-30

Coronary heart spasm

Hi Doctor,

I just want to know where I can get more information on Coronary heart spasms, I stopped smoking about a month ago and then a week ago had a Coronary heart spasm what can I do to get myself healthy and what diet can I go on to prevent this from happening? I am on heart medication and what is Hospital ICU and had a lot of tests done everything is ok now.

Dear Jacobus
Sometimes one of the vessels supplying blood to the heart muscle goes into spasm. The cause is not always clear. The spasm briefly narrows the coronary vessel, so that the heart muscle does not get enough blood, causing pain (a type of angina called variant angina pectoris or Prinzmetal's angina ). It usually happens if the vessel has been blocked or has fatty buildup (atherosclerosis), but it may happen in a normal coronary artery as well. The doctors need to determine if the artery is blocked ( needing operation or a stent) or whether this can be managed by medication. You should follow a low fat, low cholesterol diet, and get moderate exercise (like walking)