My husband had a 5 artery coronary bypass last week Thursday and is still in ICU - they have found that he also now has an underactive thyroid which they are trying to get the correct dosage of medication. My concern is that he is not alert and wants to sleep all the time. When you talk to him he answers you but then dozes again. I thought that after almost a week that he would be awake and talking normally to us. They do sit him in a chair 2 a day. Can you please advise if this is normal.

Dear Anonymous
They may be giving him strong painkillers which can make him very drowsy or even sedating him - they often do in ICU - ask the sister if he is getting anything that makes him drowsy?