Question
Posted by: Destry. | 2010/08/18

corn bread

Hi doc, is corn bread a healthy food? I have a gluten allergy but have been informed that corn bread is in the same class asred meat ,sausages,etc? Thak you.

Dear Destry
Patients with a true gluten allergy should not eat products that contain wheat, rye, oats, barley, spelt, kamut, or titricale. If bt 'corn bread' you are referring to bread made with mielies or maize, then you will have to find out of the bread contains any wheat flour, and if it does you will not be able to eat it. I don't know who informed you that corn bread is in the same class as red meat and sausages, but must admit that I cannot see what they are basing this statement on. Maize bread is a starchy food like other breads and starchy vegetables, while red meat is a high protein food. Nowadays sausages are difficult to classify because they seem to contain less and less meat and more and more soya protein which is derived from plants. Be careful of sausages because they also often contain wheat starch which is not permitted in gluten allergy.
Hope this helps

2
Posted by: Destry. | 2010/08/19

Hi Doc, I got the information from an altrnate health site,listed as foods to avoid giving no reason.Then came a list of procssed meats, etc.Thank you for quick reply.

Reply to Destry.

Dear Destry
Hope this helps