Question
Posted by: SAPNA | 2009-08-25

CORMFORTABLE WEIGHT AT 46

Hi Doc,

Trust this mail finds you well,

I' m 27 years old, 1.53 in height, weigh approx. 50kg excerise regularly and consume a reasonable well balanced diet.

The year before last i weighed 46kg and now i feel as if i' m too heavy at 50kg, i' m trying so hard to get back to 46 but to no avail. i have even tried diet pills, liquid diets but nothing seems to work and on top of that whatever i seem to eat - my tummy bloats like i' m 5months pregnant. i can' t handle it anymore.

i gym x3 a week,
i don' t drink fizzy beverages (i only consume water 1ltre a day, 1 glass of juice - no alcohol/tea or coffee at all)
i don' t smoke
eat 2-3 fruits a day
stay away from bread and take aways
cook alot of stews(chicken/lamb with frozen veges)
eat popcorn for lunch almost every day
have coco pops, and a fruit for breakfast)

DO YOU THINK I NEED TO SEE MY GP RE: MY BLOATING. WHAT I CAN DO TO LOSE THE 4KG THAT SEEM TO BE STICKING TO ME-HOW DO I BREAK THE PLATEU OF BEEN 50KG.

Doc, i know that my ideal weight is 50kg, but my body is just not comfortable been so heavy

Your advise is always much appreciated

Have a fab day:)

Dear Sapna
Thank you I am well and appreciate your kind words. You are quite correct that your present weight which gives you a BMI of 21,4 is ideal for your height and your body will resist any attempts to lose more weight. I reckon that your constant bloating may well be contributing to you feeling so "fat" despite the fact that you are actually thin, so I would recommend that you sort out the bloating first and then reassess how you feel about your weight. Yes, you need to see your gp or even a gastroenterologist for a diagnosis of the bloating because unfortunately this can be caused by a variety of conditions (e.g. irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), food allergies and sensitivities, enzyme deficiencies, gastritis or ulcers, gallbladder problems, etc). So please see the dr and let's find out what is causing your bloating so that we can do something about it. For example if you happen to be lactose sensitive then you would need to cut out all milk and most dairy products and all foods that contain milk, or if you have gastritis then you will need to have medical treatment and cut out foods that cause discomfort. If you should be diagnosed with IBS or a food allergy then I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you sort out what you can and cannot eat. Once you have the bloating under control or hopefully eliminated, then try increasing your cardio exercises at the gym to slowly reduce those 4 kg. But don't do this before you eliminate the bloating because if you have IBS or gastritis, stress plays an important role and you will need to relax to get things sorted out.