Posted by: JoJo | 2009-03-10

Copper-t no good, now what?

Hi doc, wonder if u can help.
I ahd the copepr t fitted 2 weeks ago and had terrible cramps. LAst week i went back to my doc and she did an xray and found it had somehow pierced my uterus and was floating around my stomach. So i had to go back into hospital to have it removed (laparoscopy).
Firstly, how common a problem is this and would the doc who put it in be at fault?

Secondly, i chose the copper t because i get bad migraines with the pill and injection (tried both) because of the hormones. What other options do i now have?
My sister in law has some small thing that was fitted under her skin in the UK that lasts 5 years. Is taht available in SA and would it be an option?

Thanks so much.

This complication occurs in less than 5% of cases and would be an accepted complication, i.e. not the fault of the doctor. Norplant is also hormonal and would have similar effects to the injectable. Your only other options are Microval, which is not as safe as the combined pill, and the Mirena, though you may not want another IUCD fitted. If your family is complete, you could consider sterilisation.