Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2009/11/16

Copper T

Dear Doc

I have a copper-T IUD for about 4 months now. Yesterday I experience tremendous pain down there and also burning sensation when urinating. I applied some over the counter cream I have at home and the pain and burning sensation then actually got worse around the outside areas. I also have some pain in my lower back so I am not sure whether this could be a really bad bladder/urinary tract infection or if possible my copper T could have moved? I started taking some Citro Soda and it seems to be helping.

Also, how safe is the copper T? What is the side effects of the Copper T? My baby is about 5 1/2 months now and I am still breastfeeding her so haven' t had a period as yet as well. Could the copper T cause some kind of irritation sometimes?

Thanks for your help.

Kindest regards

It does sound like a bladder infection. If the citrosoda does not help, you may need antibiotics.
The copper T is about 98% safe. The main side effect is heavy painful periods. There is also a slightly higher rate of infections.

1