Question
Posted by: Poppy | 2010/08/27

Copper IUD

Hi Doc, i had an IUD inserted on the 18th of August, had cramps for about 4 days without bleeding,after the 4 days, i started spotting and it hasn''t stopped since then. Is there any medication to stop the spotting, its irritating as i''m not sure if its a period or spotting, the bleeding is light.I was supposed to go back after my first period to check if its still fine but not sure if this is a period or spotting.

If this is the time that your period is due, then that's probably what it is. If not, the spotting may be a result of the IUCD insertion. There isn't any medication to take. You should go for your check-up a month from the date of insertion.

2

Posted by: Shoes | 2010/08/30

Hi Poppy,

My advice, take it out. I inserted one and ended up with an ectopic pregnancy as the IUD caused an infection and one of my tubes was damaged. I have heard of babies being born, with IUD''s attached to them......

Reply to Shoes