Question
Posted by: Bev Mayer | 2011-05-02

COPD and Plants

I have suffered with COPD for the past 10 years. A friend of mine complains each time she is visiting at my home, her chest closes and she has an asthma attack. She says that there is something in my garden that affects her. I am beginning to agree with her as I have been away on holiday and did not even have use for my nebeuliser whilst away. On my return this week, within minutes my chest closed and I have started coughing again. I have 1 Syringa tree, 1 cabbage tree, Yukas, Cycads, 1 Yesterday Today and Tomorrow, 1 Gardina and then various small plants. Could you tell me if any of these are high allergy trees. Many thanks. Bev

Bev Mayer

Unfortunately, people react differently to different types of allergens. The fact that you started experiencing symptoms on your return, tells me that you are correct in thinking that your COPD is aggrevated by environmental factors.

Please contact an allergy specialist. He/she will assist you to find the trigger by means of blood tests. Once a spesific allergen has been identified, the treatment of your condition can be well controlled.