Posted by: Hopeful | 2012-02-08

COPD and Air Travel.

Dear Doctor I have just been informed by my pulmonogist to never go overseas again as air travel can be a risk due to my lungs as I have COPD. I also had heart failure 18 months ago and though I now must take lasix, I feel perfectly fine. I go for my lung function tests every 6 months and other tests, and so far I am doing well I have been told.I also have an enlarged right side weakness in my heart as well due to the emphysema . My problem is that i have been told not to fly ever again due to all of this and i am shocked as i have family overseas that i used to visit and now i am terribly unhappy that i will not be able to do all that again. Would getting oxygen onboard and aircraft help. I am not on oxygen at all at home though.Is there some way that i could still travel ?.

COPD and air travel does not mix, due to the high pressure inside the cabin and not the oxygen levels. Your lungs can puncture due to the increased cabin pressure. Rather consider travelling by boat.