Posted by: may | 2009-04-19

COPD &  air trapping

I was just diagnosed with Copd &  air trapping. I'  ve been smoking for 30 years. How can I stop smoking? I have heard that if people who have smoked for so many years, stop the habit, they either get VERY sick or even die of the lack of nicotine. Will it help if I stop smoking or is it too late for me? I dont wanna die now, i'  m only 53. I also don'  t want to be a burdan to my children if I get worse.I have just lost my husband with the same kind of illness. I think the fact that I am so tense and stressed out with his pasing away, even makes me more short of breath. I am on the Duovent HFA, but it doesn'  t realy help. What could I do? My doctor didn'  t really informed me, thats why I came on to this site to do some research. What should I do?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi May

COPD is a potentially very serious disease, as you have already discovered. Unfortunately, having had the diagnosis already made means that there has been a significant amount of damage to the lung tissue, which will not repair 'itself' and there are no drugs available to repair the damaged tissue.

All of your efforts should now be directed at maintaining the functional lung tissue that you have left. This, unquestionably, means giving up smoking. There are various 'stop smoking' courses that have varying success rates. Some patients find hypnosis very helpful.

Aerobic exercise, under strict supervision by a biokineticist, to help inmprove your lung capacity would also be beneficial.