Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2010-01-28

Q.

cooked vs raw oats

Apologies if this question is overly naive.

Does raw oats have the same health properties as cooked oats? My breakfast consists of 30g raw oats in 175g low fat yogurt. I know most people normally cook their oats.

Expert's Reply

A.

Dear Sarah
Your question is not at all naive. The primary reason for eating oats is their high soluble dietary fibre content which is beneficial to heart health. Thus eating raw oats is probably even more beneficial than eating cooked oats. In addition raw oat bran has a low glycaemic index (GI), while cooked oat bran has a high GI. Thus it is a good idea to eat raw oat bran to keep your blood glucose and insulin values steady for longer.
Enjoy

2
user comments

C.

Posted by: Johan Johan van Zyl | 2014-01-19

Raw oats or raw oat bran? I have tried both of them together raw and it had unpleasant side effects. Put one tablespoon of bran and 4 tablespoons of oats in a cup and add just boiled water, leave overnight and use in smoothie next day works for me! Do you think I have the correct ratio?

Reply to Johan Johan van Zyl
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-01-28

Dear Sarah
Enjoy

Want to comment?