Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2012/03/16

Conure''s funny behaivor

Hi Cybervet

Hope you are well.

I bought my 70 year old mom a yellow-sided conure that was hand reared. She decided he is little boy! He has been hand reared and is very tame, such a beautiful pet with a lot of character. He follows her around like a little dog and keeps her entertained with his antics.

He also bonded with me (daughter) and my mom lives with me. He is such a sweetie pie during the day and when I come home he is very happy to see me and tweets and shakes his wings until I pick him up and love him.

Then he changes and starts biting my mom and being a badly behaved boy. I THINK he may be jealous but of who, he bites my mom the most suddenly when I am home.

Generally he " loves"  us both equally and is totally attached to both of us.

We joke and say she is Day Mommy and I am Night Mommy and he seems to know it is his time with me when I get home.

He is 4 months old.

He also performs if he does not get enough sunflower seeds and we restrict them for obvious reasons. He is on a really good diet with fresh fruit, lots of seeds etc. Eventually we give him some and then he behaves again. This is only on certain days.

A feathered toddler I guess!

By the way how do you know if they are female or male?

Hi Cindy

Thank you.

As you know Conure's are an ideal family pet although they do have destructive tendencies and thus require constant stimulation. I suspect that the behavior your bird is expressing is adaptive behavior and this could be difficult to change. If you feel that his/her behavior is a problem then I would suggest getting the assistance of an avian vet / other owners to discuss the matter.

You can determine the sex of the bird thought DNA testing. You must remove feathers and send these to a laboratory for testing. If you are interested then discuss with a breed society/veterinary practice.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012/03/22

Hi Cindy

Thank you.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Vaal Donkie | 2012/03/20

Only a vet can tell the sex of a connure. Either by drawing some blood and doing some tests or with a really tiny camera.

You should REALLY stop giving the bird sunflower seeds when it misbehaves. You can give it as a treat, but not as a " reward"  for bad behaviour (that is the lesson it is learning from you). Your mother should maybe also be the one to give the treats, taht way the bird will see her as the " mommy" .

But they are complex creatures, so anything is possible.

Reply to Vaal Donkie