Posted by: Carey | 2012-04-17

Conure Questions

We have a 5 month old conure.

Just a question - he is moulting and we can see the new feathers coming out. But honestly it looks like he is going to go bald. Is this normal? How often will he moult? He loves to bathe and we do spray him with water.

He is a little fellow and seems to get very cold at night. We have covered his cage with sufficient covers and even tried to make him a little nest which he objected to most strongly! Just cover the cage with a blanket. He is not in any draughts. The rest of the time (all day in fact) he is cuddled, on the shoulder or snuggling up to one of us.

We were told he a bit of a calcium deficiency and must shave some cuttle fish over his seed. Have been doing that. Should I rather get the one that you put into water? He had a crack in his beak which is growing out now.

Hi Carey

If you are feeding the correct diet then I suspect that the problem could be on of self plucking. It has been suggested that you use an Aloe Water to spray the bird to help resolve the problem. If the problem persists then I will be worth your while to have you Conure examined by an experienced bird veterinarian.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Posted by: VaalDonkie | 2012-04-17

An oil heater should do the trick at night. They''re safe becasue they don''t dry the air out and they''re much gentler on the electricity bill too. You don''t need to make the room toasty, just turn it up enough to take the bite out of the cold. I put mine on the second lowest setting at half power and my birds seem fine.

It''s about time for his six-monthly vet visit anyway, why don''t you ask him?

Reply to VaalDonkie