Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2009/11/19

Conure &  rat introduction

Hi, I have a 1 year old rat. She' s a bit antisocial, only comes near us when we have food. Sometimes she runs around in the open but she mainly hides when she' s out her cage. Now I' m getting a green cheecked conure from my step sister who has been neglecting her for some time. My father says she' s biting a bit but it' s only because she' s been neglected and my step sister used to tease her (sticking her finger in the cage then pulling it out when the conure came close and she' d do that often). Anyway, my question is how long will the bird take to get used to us, after how much time with us should we first take the bird out her cage, after how long should we introduce the bird to our rat and HOW do we introduce them to each other? Thank you!

Dear Mandy

I have no knowledge about how to resolve this issue.

2
Posted by: Cybervet | 2009/11/30

Dear Mandy

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Vrye Denker | 2009/11/23

Birds usually take about a week to adjust to their new surroundings. During this time, it should be handled as little as possible. You are going to have to teach it to stop biting. This is going to take a while, probably a month, but it' s possible. The " introduction ceremony"  can take place once the bird has settled in. You' ll know whether it has settled when it starts eating normally.

Reply to Vrye Denker