Question
Posted by: D | 2010/08/19

Control/Obsessive behaviour

I am an A Type personality (control=NB) with history of depression.

I have got into a terrible cycle of binging and dieting which I suspect has a lot to do with comfort eating, etc. I weigh in once a week with a nutritionist, after weighing in I will reward myself by binging/overeating carbs (muffins, chips, cake etc for the rest of the day. After that I eat very little for the rest of the week to get back to the same weight!

Also I am one of those, where if there ia a cake in the house, I will eat it - the whole thing!! Can''''t have a few chips from a packet. have to finish the whole (big) packet!! I am just over my BMI range by 1kg and 41 years old?

Help?

Thanks very much.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi D,
This forum is quite new, and I suggest you read a few of the other questions and answers, as your problem is a popular one that seems to be recurring. I guess I need to place some “Frequent Q&As” when I get a chance. You are really caught in a cycle, trying to lower your weight, but the restriction catapulting you into the inevitable bingeing cycle when you are starved. You visit your nutritionist weekly, where it seems necessary to have it validated (is it for yourself or your nutritionist) that your weight has not increased? Take a look at what that is about. You also say that you are suffering from depression. Are you receiving help for that by way of therapy and/or medication, as the “comfort eating, is not a good prescription, and is not going to help you to feel any better about yourself? Between a therapist and your nutritionist, look at the symbolism that food holds for you. Does it fill an empty emotional space, and do you need to polish off the whole packet of chips for fear of feeling deprived if something is left behind? Your nutritionist might also need to (if she/he has not already done so) educate you about food groups and the effects of rollercoaster blood sugar levels, as your chaotic eating habits might be as a result of both psychological and physiological mechanisms.

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/08/20

Hi D,

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert