Question
Posted by: xxx | 2008/10/28

Controlling weight and metabolism

I recently loss a lot of weight in a very short time as i was going through a stressful time. However, i know that it messed up my metabolism as i lost the weight because i hardly ate anything.

So im quite scared that i will now gain weight very quickly if i go about eating as normal again. How do you get your body to gradually build up the speed of your metabolism so you dont pick up weight too fast?

Also, for how long a period do you have to go through a " starvation"  period before it affects your metabolism?

Dear XXX
Stress can have this effect that it can cause total lack of appetite so that you lose a lot of weight. It is important that you start eating a normal balanced diet again to provide you with all the nutrients you need for good health (you may even have developed some deficiencies during your stressful period). To get your metabolism functioning properly again and to prevent unwanted weight gain I would recommend that you start doing daily exercise for about 30 min like going for a brisk walk or swimming or skipping. Exercise is still the best and safest metabolic stimulant known to us and it will keep your weight under control and help you to destress.