Posted by: Misty2 | 2008-11-17

Contract employment

If one is employed on contract basis is it possible for one to resign from that job before the contract reaches it' s expiry date?

I am currently seeking to relocate to Bloem so i have been seeking employment that side. I was invited for an interview in Bloem by a company that has offices country wide. The job I applied for required that i choose according to preference the province i want to work in. I made it clear that only Bloem because I' m newly wed and hubby works in Bloem. I got a call from the company i am one of the successful candidates but they cant place me in Bloem. If I accept for another place and I sign a contract there is it possible for me to transfer to Bloem on the same contract at a later stage?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: contract employment

One can always resign from a job within the correct notice time as contained in the contract.

Posted by: xoxo | 2008-11-18

Hi Misty,

The BCOE Act states the following: You are entitle to terminate your contract with your employer and vice versa as follows:

(a)one week, if the employee has been employed for six months or less 

(b) two weeks, if the employee has been employed for more than six months but not more than one year 

(c)four weeks, if the employee-

(i) has been employed for one year or more  or

Hope this helps

Reply to xoxo