Posted by: Emma | 2009-06-01

Contraceptives, the libido &  cancer

I am 38. I stopped taking the Pill more than a year ago because of headaches (I' ve tried just about every pill there is!), and was put on the Nur-Isterate injection. But I realise it' s having a very negative effect on my libido.

I was thinking of trying the " patch" , but read that women who have a family history of cancer (which I do, plus I had thyroid cancer - cured 2000) might not be able to take it.

I really am getting tired of all this!! I have a daughter (3), and no intention of having another child, but my husband and I are nervous of his having a vascetomy in case something happens to her (unlikely, I know).

Is there anything I might not have considered? I am healthy. Exercise 3 - 4 x a week (running), eat moderately well and hardly drink alcohol at all.

Why don't you try the IUCD or Mirena.