Posted by: storm | 2009-07-30

Good Morning Dr Bets

my question is as follows:

ive been on nordette for 5 months now every month im expriencing break thru bleeding do you think changing from nordette to yasmin will help solve my break thru bleeding issue?

are low dose contraceptives safe to use because i am afraid that because its low dose it wont be as affective as a high dose contraceptive at preventing pregnancy?

you recommended i try diane 35 but to my understanding dianne 35 is not to be used as a contraceptive alone is this true?

i was on minerva when i was in school due to acne it made me pick up alot of weight how ever i did not get any break thru bleeding with it is it a good contraceptive to use to prevent preganacy?

should i be changing to a higher dose pill or a lower dose pill?

and lastly i need an example of a pill with higher levels of estrogen other then nordette and triphasil?

Thank you so much doc :)

Hallo Storm
You can use Diane as contraceptive and for acne. Low dose pills are not less effective than high dose ones. Minerva is fine to use and if it worked well for you maybe you should go back on it then. Most contraceptives will cause weight gain of 3-4 kg but after that it stabilizes (normally). Much of this could be fluid retention.
I won't use contraceptives with esterogen levels higher than those in Nordette and Triphasil as high esterogen level pills have the risk of causing deep vein thrombosis and can cause breast problems.