Posted by: Chris | 2011-11-28

Contraception suggestions

Hi Dr. Burger,

I have just started a new relationship and am faced with a predicament. My girlfriend has tried Yas, Yasmin and Triphesamine (excuse the spelling or word) and all three give her really bad side effects, as she get''s headaches and gets in a really bad mood.

I have thought about condoms, but she is allergic to latex, and therefore condoms are expensive. Ideally, I would really love to find a pill that works for her.

Can you please suggest a pill that may agree with her?

Thank you in advance,

The tablets that you have mentioned are low dose combination oral contraceptives. She will most likely experience these symptoms with all oral contraceptives and this is a contra-indication for her to use. She should consult a gynaecologist to discuss other means of contraception, like for instance intra-uterine contraceptive device.