Posted by: Worried | 2010-11-29

Contraception Question-need feedback and comments please!

Hi-I have been on triphasil for a long time now and have been generally good taking my pill every night. A recent change in routine (being on holiday) and I took my pill late twice. Day 15 and day 19 (the first time I took the pill 14 hours late and the second time 10 hours late). I took the morning after pill 30 hours after I had sex a few days after- since I knew that I was late taking my pill and I also had sex a few days after that (a day before I forgot to take the second pill on time) but my boyfriend used the withdrawal method the second time. Should I be worried that the pill has been ineffective? Also will taking the pill a few hours later affect my cycle (apparently if it''s in day 15-21 you should be concerned?) How effective is the pill if you''re a couple of hours late in taking it as there are so many theories-don''t know what to believe. If it is a rare occurance like once every 6 months should I still worry if I forget to take it then take it a few hours later? I would appreciate any comments and feedback.

Dear Worried

Taking the pill late and within a 24 hour period should not pose any particular reason for concern provided that this does not happen on 2 successive days. Also the additional precautions that you have taken will ensure that pregnancy is highly improbable. The above refers to combination pills i.e. those pills containing both estrogen and progesterone and not the progesterone only pill such as Microval.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim