Question
Posted by: Worried | 2010-11-29

Contraception-Please give me the facts.

Hi-I have been on triphasil for a long time now and have been generally good taking my pill every night. A recent change in routine (being on holiday) and I took my pill late twice. Day 15 and day 19 (the first time I took the pill 14 hours late and the second time 10 hours late). I took the morning after pill 30 hours after I had sex a few days after- since I knew that I was late taking my pill and I also had sex a few days after that (a day before I forgot to take the second pill on time) but my boyfriend used the withdrawal method the second time. Should I be worried that the pill has been ineffective? Also will taking the pill a few hours later affect my cycle (apparently if it''''s in day 15-21 you should be concerned?) How effective is the pill if you''''re a couple of hours late in taking it as there are so many theories-don''''t know what to believe. If it is a rare occurance like once every 6 months should I still worry if I forget to take it then take it a few hours later? I would appreciate any comments and feedback.

It sounds like you have taken all the precautions to prevent pregnancy. The morning after pill may well affect your cycle. Taking the pill a few hours late occasionally is not a problem, but 12 hours late is quite long.