Posted by: Jakes | 2009-02-21

contraception for dogs

Our 11mth. old Ridgeback X labrador has suddenly come on heat. We do not intend to breed with her + planned to haver her spayed at about 15mths. Is there any type of contraception I can get from the vet? Somebody also told us to use citronella oil on her tail + hind legs  supposed 2 keep male dogs away. Is this true or just an old wives tale?

Dear Jakes

Delvosterone is a drug you can use as a temporary measure and it works best if it is given just as the heat starts. You must go to your vet for an injection of this or discuss with him having her spayed as soon as.

Posted by: Eta | 2009-02-25

Hi Jakes,

There is a pill you can give your dog that works as a contraceptive. I got one from my vet to use on our bitch until we could get her spayed. You give them the pill when they go on heat and everyday, for 3 days, I think.
Check with your vet, there is definitely a contraceptive pill for dogs.

Reply to Eta
Posted by: Chill | 2009-02-21

Won' t work.

Why wait till 15 months? The norm is 6 months...

You' re going to have to keep her securely locked up until this is over - in need, find a kennel that will take her, some have special facilities for bitches on heat.

Talk to your vet - depending on what stage she' s at, he' ll tell you when the soonest is that she can be spayed.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: c | 2009-02-21

Reply to c