Posted by: Jane | 2009-03-10

Contraception and MAP

I have taken the morning after pill twice in one cycle, I took the first MAP on the first day of my period and about 9 hours after unprotected sex. I had a normal period (slightly longer than usual- 7 days) I then took the second MAP 2 days before my next period was due and 3 hours after unprotected sex. My period is now 4 days late and I was told this is most probably because of the MAP. I would like to know for how long the MAP can delay a period? I was prescribed the contraceptive pill yasmin 2 weeks ago and was told to wait until my next period before taking the first pill. Now my period has been delayed and I don' t know for how long? I am really anxious to get started on taking the Yasmin pills and would like to know if it is absolutely necessary that I wait for my next period or can I simply start taking the pills now?

Thank you kindly

The effect of the MAP on your cycle varies form person to person. I would suggest that you do a pregnancy test and, if negative, start taking the Yasmin. In both cases you had sex far from your fertile time, so pregnancy is unlikely.