Question
Posted by: Curious | 2010/09/03

Contraception &  High Blood Pressure

Good Day

I have 2 questions:

1. I am getting married next year and have never used a contraceptive before. How long before I get married should I start using one so that it is effective &  my body has accepted the contraceptive? What type of contraceptives would you suggest? I have discussed this with my fiancé  and we both feel I should go on a contraceptive as we do not want children immediately. However I would like the contraceptive to work so that I do not fall pregnant after the first time.

2. Since the last 3 periods I''ve had, I''ve developed a very high blood pressure. I think the last reading I had was 180 or something. Anyway this High blood pressure arrives 3 days before my period, once I get my period it disappears for a while then occurs randomly throughout the period. What can this be and is it a cause for concern?

You will need to check with your doctor whether you need treatment for the high blood pressure. This is a contraindication to the Pill. You could use the injectable or IUCD. It is best to start 3-4 months before you get married to allow your body time to adjust.

1