Question
Posted by: ND | 2011-05-16

Contraception?

I am 35 yrs old and a smoker. I have not been on any contraception for 7 years now. I had placenta acretta with the birth of our 2nd child and am petrified of falling pregnant so I do believe we''ve taken a risk. However, I know when I ovulate so avoid making love during this time and mostly we use condoms, but after last night we are fed up with them. My gynae did suggest the pill at one stage, but I thought I couldnt take it due to smoking and my age. I was last on Yasmin 7 yrs ago, but had constant spotting / sore breasts etc. I am tyring to persuade my husband that a vasectomy is a good option (better than a tubal ligation for females). I wouldnt mind taking the pill as my cycle has gone a bit wonky too and I suffer quite a bit of odd pain, especially bad during ovulation. I dont mind my periods so wouldnt want something that stops them completly. I have read that the pill is good in preventing some cancers and I wouldnt mind a combination of both pill and vasectomy. Please advise what you would prescribe in my case ? Thank you.

You are right that the Pill is problematic due to your age and smoking history. You could use the injectable which generally stops periods, or the Mirena. Sterilisation is alo an option for either you or your husband.

2
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-05-19

Posted by: ND | 2011-05-16

Oh, I also dried Nuristerate 7 yrs ago for 4 months and my periods did not return for a year and I got a cyst after using it.

Reply to ND