Posted by: Micro | 2009-01-22

Contraception - 1 ovary

Dear Doc

I had 1 ovary and tube removed in December 2007 after it was damaged by cysts. I fell pregnant on my 1 remaining ovary in April last year, and gave birth 2 weeks ago.

As I am breastfeeding, my gynae prescribed Microval and Esperide.

I waited so long to have my first baby, and am now wandering whether it is a good thing to be taking a contraceptive. I do want another baby (falling pregnant in a few months time would be ideal), and am just concerned about interfering with the natural workings of my remaining ovary. I can' t afford to lose this ovary as well, so don' t want to jeapordise it' s ability to ovulate etc by supressing it for a few months.

Would it not be a better option to stay off the pill, and rather just abstain from intercourse for a while? I need to protect this ovary.

I' m also worried that if I don' t take the pill, I will get cysts on my remaining ovary?

I look forward to your reply.

If you don't mind falling pregnant soon, there is no need to use contraception. You could use condoms for a few weeks if you wish. It would be very unlikely anyway that you would fall pregnant within 3 months of giving birth if you are breastfeeding.
Having said this, being on the Pill will not damage your ovary in any way. Suppressing it is sometimes helpful in preventing cysts.