Posted by: moonbeam | 2012-08-13

continual illness

My family have been continually ill for around 2 months. It has been colds, odd viruses, ear infections, vomiting, diarhea, influenza, bronchitis, headaches, throat infections, tonsilitis.

Each illness is just going through us all (except the tonsilitis, that is only my children''s caregiver).

We are all washing hands - we''re so obsessive about it now that our hands are starting to peel and I''ve given everyone hand cream, I wash towels and facecloths of the currently sick people immediately, we''ve started using gloves for nappy changes.

I don''t believe in vitamins unless there is an actual deficiency or poor diet - but I''m assuming we probably have such - so I" ve put us all on multivitamins now just in case.

We eat a healthy balanced diet - I don''t believe in any of the fashionable intolerances those who constantly run to homeopaths believe in, so we eat a bit of everything in moderation with lots of fresh fruit and fresh and frozen vegetables, some meat - white, red and fish, grains, fat, dairy.

Is there anything else we can do?

We cannot miss any more work or school.

I''m seriously considering buying face masks (I used to joke about it, I" m now serious).

I''ve started leaving windows wide open day and night to get fresh air in, I make sure we''re all outside regularly. We used to all excercise regularly but for the last two montsh we haven''t been doing anything except walking the dogs occassionally when someone feels up to it.

Nobody has worms, we drink plenty of water, though I''ve started boiling it before we drink it lately. I don''t like the idea of preventative probiotics but I''m going to get us all probiotics to take regardless, just in case. We do take them when on antibiotics or when we have runny tummies, but not everyday just in case like some people do.

I am at the end of my tether coping with being ill and having a constantly ill family. Never in my life have I had this situation - we''re all pretty healthy people normally who apart from the occassional bout of illness and whatever is going around, just don''t get sick much.

I''m so pleased that my children are vaccinated against everything - except flu though, but from next year we will all get flu vaccs every year. I just wanted to avoid having to inject every year, especially with a vaccine that may or may not contain the strains of flu going around at the time. This is my sons second year with flu though.

What can we do?

You can supplement your diet with selenium, zinc and Vitamin C tablets. Echina force has been proven to improve the immune system. You can consult your doctor for Vitamin B complex injections, as well the flu vaccination, twice a year.