Question
Posted by: Change | 2009/12/21

Continious training

I have been on an eating plan and gym schedule for about a year now ( gym 6 times a week , for 45mins - 1 hour a day , i do cardio 3 times a week and different muscle groups on the other days altenating) the only times i have taken a break is when i havee been ill. Does one need to take a break( i heard that one should take a break every 8 weeks for a week)? Also how often should one change their exercise routine as i have had the same routine?

Hi Change

I think there's a lot of value in variety, and we know that doing the same thing eventually causes problems. That doesn't necessarily mean you must stop training and rest, it just means that you need some variety in the training. You might already get that variety in your training, if you mix up what you do, how long you do it and so forth. In that case, it's not necessary. But if you are stuck in a routine, say for example five times a week of 45 minutes of running, that's likely to become a problem.

So there's no answer to your question - it's a matter of discretion, but generally, I'd run a programme on 3 month cycles, where you spend each quarter focused on something else, then make changes for the next cycle. A period of rest, maybe a week or so, never hurts, and neither does a goal, like a 10km or 21 km or a cycle race, something like that.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/12/23

Hi Change

Reply to fitnessdoc