Posted by: Frustrated | 2009-03-10

Continious intrusive thinking

I have been experiencing the following for about 5 to 6 years and its driving me crazy. For some reason I continuosly obsese/think about a certain aspect/flaw on my body. For example, during puberty I suffered from bad skin, but the condition wasnt that bad but yet I could not stop thinking about it, its out of control, i constantly think about my skin thinking it will break out. At this stage in my life, I started to loose some of my hair, this has also become a total obsession, I constantly worry about it and the thoughts are also intrusive in that it distracts me from important stuff. I feel like im going to loose my mind if this continues. I dont have any control over my thinking. Help!

This could be several things, perhaps an obsessive-Compulsive disorer or personality, or even a variant of Dysmorphophobia. These can arise on their own, and can also be related to Depression. See a good local psychioatrist for a thorough assessment, first, and then a iscussion of treatment options. Some drugs could help, and Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, CBT, could be extremely useful.