Question
Posted by: anon | 2010/06/11

containing myself

ok, this is not a very profound posting or in need of help, i actually need to vent, it doesnt seem like too many people in ''real life'' have my view.

I AM SO IRRITATED BY THE WHOLE SWC HYPE.
there, i said it.

ok, i CANT sleep, and when i do im a very light sleeper. i cant stand the vuvuzelas and hooters blasting away. even if i was the no 1 supporter, i wont use that thing. i dont think anything has annoyed me so much.

im not really this negative, usually. i actually love team spirit and i think it''s great that the country has reason to stand together. but in the back of my mind i know it''s only short lived and over shadows the deeper issues. see thats the thing with me, i cannot indulge in something if i know/feel it''s not 100% ''honest''. and honestly, it is not that i am a negative person. i just cant let the goosepumpy-feeling take over because im too much aware of the other problems. maybe thats a big part of my low days.??

basically i feel it''s a fake way to reach unity, and i know thats not the purpose of SWC, but, you know, thats how i feel. all these extra things people all of a sudden do, people whos never even watched soccer. all the money making schemes and also people who''s lost so much already. and i think it is terrible that schools closed for such a long period for this. people dont have money, now they have to keep their children busy and give them more pocket money etc etc.

you know, the whole country stops for this and billions have been spent, and i will NEVER forget that there are children dying of hunger all over. HOW can there not be money to help those people???

am i trying to be too profound about this?

here''s to hoping the unity will last longer than i expect!!!!

Its not compulsory to be profound. Vent away
Actually, if you'll check back in the forum, I also explained recently why I abhor all the SWC hype and the rampant imperialism and exploitation by FIFA.
The sole purpose of the SWC is to make magebucks for FIFA and a handful of other people allowed a small share. I feel sick when I hear people equating this event to the release of Mandela, and how it will be a triumph of world democracy. When did we vote on it ? We have wasted millions on facilities that will be rarely used ( how often will the PE and Nelspruit stadiums be filled after the SWC ? ) rather than facilities desperately needed. The actual number of overseas tourists was grossly over-estimated and over-hyped, and most hoteliers etc I know will be losing money as punishment for having believed the hype. A handful of extra jobs will only be temporary.
And "unity" is, in itself, useless, unless harnessed to worthwhile aims and projects more worthy than blowing trumpets and wearing expensive shirts

7
Posted by: This event is bigger than all your pettiness | 2010/06/11

Get a life. This event is bigger than your pettiness whether you like it or not. Get off your moral high horses and go with the flow for a change - feel the excitement - see what it does for the concept of collective ubuntu. By all means, if you want to rant and rave, go for it. Meanwhile life goes on with or without you. Yes there are people dying of hunger all over the world - the soccer world cup never promised miracles - those people will still be there after. I work daily with a charity organisation in Gugs - those people that you refer to are ecstatic about their game being played in their country. They''re not expecting anything out of it - they are content to involve themselves in temporary hype because it fills them with a sense of pride and purpose even if just for a moment. It lifts them above their circumstances and gives them precious memories. Those people that you are so worried about blow their vuvuzelas the loudest and yes probably at 5 in the morning because if they don''t have the luxury of lying in in the mornings in warm beds.
If you are really worried about the hungry orphans that we work with, by all means boycott the world cup and come and give us a hand. So take your vuvuzelas out of your butts and if you cant beat them, for gods sake join them!!

Reply to This event is bigger than all your pettiness
Posted by: anon | 2010/06/11

i dont support any side and i dont find it enjoyable.

it''s easy to always say something like ''up your doses of Anti Depressives and relax.''. it''s got nothing to do with what was said. im sure you also have things that you dont like or disapprove of. let others have their say aswell, please?

Reply to anon
Posted by: VIVA BAFANA | 2010/06/11

People people, up your doses of Anti Depressives and relax. This is simply a major sporting event, actually the biggest in the world that all or should I say most are coming together for to enjoy. Its not a solution to crime or poverty and probably wont have a major impact on that positivley or negativley.

Its just putting most in a good mood and creating a feeling of unity, something this country has had. Even if it is short lived at least it has been lived.

Support your side damit.

Reply to VIVA BAFANA
Posted by: anon | 2010/06/11

hi Me

yes i do think it is rude when people blast away at 2,3,4,5,6 in the morning as if it''s the norm. and their right.

im with you - cant wait, just hope the vuvuzelas, like, break or something in a few weeks time. run out of guarantee. lol.

Reply to anon
Posted by: me | 2010/06/11

I am so glad I am not alone. I feel my blood presure rise by the minute. While I try to do a days work the rest of the staff is hanging around and blowing vuvuzelas. Making it impossible to even think. Can not help but concider it rude. Even got up this morning at 5:00 due to people blowing vuvuzelas. Can not wait until the end of this.

Reply to me
Posted by: anon | 2010/06/11

thats exactly my point - everything feels so temporary.

Reply to anon