Question

Constipation/Fasting

Dear Doc,
I am fasting at the moment for a whole month, but i am very constipated and feel very bloated after my meal at night. On the 10th you advise me to use Lactulose every night for constipation or other alternatives are Movicol or Fybogel orange. I would like to know if it will be save to use any of these products at night before going to bed, will it not affect me during the day while fasting.

Hallo Anon
It should not cause any problems during the day as it is not stimulant laxatives, but only cause fluid to be pulled into the bowel to soften the stool. You can also try to put a gliserin suppository in, early in the morning, to stimulate your tummy. Ensure that you drink enough water at night and avoid coffee and tea. Avoid fatty and sugary foods, and eat more complex carbohydrates (oats, low GI Bread, vegetables, low fat chicken or meat or fish) Try to eat slowly and to chew food very well. See also
http://www.islam101.com/ramadan/foodTips.htm

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/08/16

Hallo Anon