Question
Posted by: Tia | 2008/10/02

Constipation severe

Hi Doc, ive just given birth 7weeks ago, since then i havent had normal bowel movements. I take 6 days without doing NO2 and when it happens it irritates my behind and i end up being very sore. I know have piles and im terrified of going to the loo. Im using laxatives to help me go once in a while but am worried because im breastfeeding. Anything natural i can use?

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Tia,
Do not consume consume dairy products, soft drinks, meat, white flour, processed foods, salt, coffee, alcohol or sugar. These foods are difficult to digest and have little or no fibre.

For quick releif of constipation, drink a large glass of quality water every ten minutes for half an hour. This can work wonders to flush out toxins and releive constipation.

Eat prunes or figs. These are the best natural laxatives.

Gentle exercise. Physical activity speeds the movement of waste through the intestines. A twenty minute walk with or without the pram can often releive constipation. Regular exercise is also important for preventing constipation in the first place.

Take acidophilus to replace friendly bacteria and improve gut function. The continued use of laxatives cleans out the intestinal bacteria and leads to chronic constipation.

Ginger stimulates the digestive system and eases passage of foods through the intestines.

Dr Guy Ashburner Osteopath